Thursday, April 9, 2009

Well,kinda obvious the"Get out and Vote" exclamation I and many others preached Mon./Tues. fell on deaf ears...LarryBoy's "landslide" consisted of oh,about winning 12% of the registered voters.....pretty pitiful turnout. So that's outta the way... I don't want to start off some "sour grapes" rant so I'm gonna go a bit personal...I confess I was more Anti-LarryBoy than Pro-Block....I felt,though a longshot,he represented the best chance for dethroning King Lar.... I wish I had found time to get more involved in Doug Block's campaign...(supplementing a disability check with bagging groceries and putting smiley-face stickers on snot-faced kids doesn't leave a lotta free time....) Anyway,talking to those circles of citizens I found such disappointment with so many LarryBoy antics,I really expected a potential upset brewing... So election nite,I throw the blue vest in the trunk after work and head over to Cliffbreakers. So here's the deal...when I introduced myself to Doug,he actually took time to sit down and talk with me...this was a GENUINE,CARING PERSON....not a glamorous candidate perhaps,but definitely not a phony. He spent 15-20 minutes talking from his heart and I was truly impressed. See,Doug,(along with MANY other cops,firefighters,and AFSCME workers...you know,those evil,greedy UNIONS LarryBoy spent THIS campaign railing against) was a big supporter of LarryBoy last time around....LarryBoy really cultivated all kinds of union support,promising a new openness in labor relations,"a seat at the table"... And,once LarryBoy took up residence on the 8th floor, all the union workers that worked so hard at the grassroots level to put him there,suddenly found their phonecalls unanswered,never returned,not even acknowledged. And see,as labor relations are now at the most toxic level ever,Doug felt a personal responsibility for his misguided support of LarryBoy and saw a DUTY to oppose his re-election... And you know,with a primary contest that shorten his campaign,his message really never came across.... Doug wanted the common man,Joe Rockford to have a collaborative role in government....LarryBoy preaches participation,but it's pretty much limited to Chamber of Commerce,RAEDC,RVACB,NextRockford,etc,etc.....all organized boards,often with strong supporters....dissent is not appreciated....

more to come....

No comments: